Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Conversations at 2 a.m.

More like 2:45 a.m., but that didn't flow so well as a title.  Anyway, it goes something like this...

TARA (calling from the top of the stairs):  Mama!  Mamaaaa!  Maaaamaaaa!!!!

ME (stumbling sleepily into the hallway at the bottom of the stairs):  What, baby?

TARA:  Can I sleep on the couch?

ME (trying to focus and do what it takes to get back into bed as quickly as possible...) Ummm...okay.

TARA (all smiles now):  OK, let me get me pillow...and my teddy...

I help her down the stairs (cuz I am so much more coordinated that she at 2 in the morning...yeah, right...).

So I fashion a bed for her, with the brown "soft" blanket, as opposed to the blue or grey blankets that we have as couch throws.

She settles in happily (Lordy, who can be so chipper in the freakin' middle of the night?!?!?).

TARA:  Now the blue blanket, Mama. 

So, I cover her over with the blue blanket, tuck her in and give her a kiss.

ME:  Okay, not go to sleep!  See you in the morning...

I stumble back to bed, burrow down in the covers, Daisy settles herself in next to me, and...I hear the thump, thump of little hands pushing open our bedroom door...

TARA (using a LOUD stage whisper):  Mama!  Mama...

ME:  What, baby!?!?!

TARA:  Can I sleep upstairs in my bed?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails