Thursday, November 19, 2009

Cinderella on trial

Interesting article in the New York Times from Decemeber 2006 - What's Wrong with Cinderella by Peggy Orstein.

I don't know why this article bugs me, but it does.  We love all things Princess around our house - heck, to me that is one of the great things about having girls - I get to indulge my inner "princess."  Isn't that the point?

Maybe it makes me feel defensive or criticized - like we are raising the girls in some way that is going to be harmful to their self-worth as they grow up. 

But, I think we are raising our girls with great values.  Yeah, it is fun to be a Princess - but in our house, Princesses are strong and brave and figure out who to solve thier own problems.  The point is that I don't think "girly" and "princess" have to equal weak or helpless.   Savannah and Tara both love the whole "princess" thing, including Tinkerbelle - who is really a fairy, but whatever.  They love the Barbie movies and all of those princess stories include a female lead that is good and kind.  She may not always start out strong and brave, but she finds that in herself by the end of the movie.

They love tutus and ribbons and glitter and magic wands.  And I love that about them. 

They believe in fairy tales.   I wouldn't trade that for anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails